Every year I intentionally read a mix of poetry, essays, reportage, short stories, spiritual, and self help/motivational books. “Read everything” is what Chicnao writer Jimmy Santiago Baca and Acoma writer Simon Ortiz both said to me. I listened. And I read books both new and old. Good writing is good writing no matter what genre or year.
Many books I enjoyed in 2013 did not make the list. And some of you might notice that no poetry books made the list. It’s just how it happened. Plus, every year I re-read my favourite book of poems: Not Vanishing by Chrystos.
Here is my top 10 list for 2013 with only one book published in 2013:
1. Best American Essays 2011 Edited by Edwidge Danticat
2. What Good Is God? In Search Of A Faith That Matters by Philip Yancey
3. Affliction by Russell Banks
4. Mastery by Sensei George Leonard
5. The Art of Learning by Josh Waitzkin
6. Nothing More Than Murder by Jim Thompson
7. Become A Better You by Joel Osteen
8. Rumble Fish by S.E Hinton
9. Best Sex Writing 2013 Edited by Rachel Kramer Bussel
10. The Prisoner’s Wife by Asha Bandele
Let me know if you have read any of these. And let me know what you think of the list!
See my 2013 reading lists below: